- Trail Description:
- Rock-studded sediments, sand, stream cobble, gravel & pavement on jeep trail and two-laned roads
- Best During:
- Spring & Fall
- Trip Distance:
- 17.9 miles (includes 6.2 on pavement)
- Ride Time:
- 3 - 4 Hours
- Elevation Gain:
- Low 4,500 - High 5,960
- Overall Rating:
- Continue south on Spanish Valley Drive
- Take the left turn to Ken's Lake, but continue past, up the gravel road.
- Take the obruse spur left, across the creek, to begin the "assault with a lively weapon" climb towards South Mesa.
- As you crest this little hill after the straight sandy stretch, the road splits. Stay left for the big dip across a dry creek bed. Shortly thereafter, the road split reconnects from the right, crosses, then continues up the hill to the left. Continue straight (right-ish) here, and if you find yourself on a sandy ridgetop, GO BACK. This ridge road dead-ends high above Mill Creek.
- After negotiating the slick fords, you come adjacent to private land with orchards. The obtuse left turn takes youup and out of the canyon. Another left on Westwater Drive starts the descent along the golf course before a final left on Canyonlands Circle, the way back to the trailhead.
Moab Visitor Information
(801) 259-8825 or (800) 635-6622
US Forest Service Campgrounds
(801) 259-7155 or (800) 280-2267
Mountain Bike Resource - Trails - Flat Pass Ride Summary
From its four-way stop intersection with Spanish Trail Road, this route takes the paved Spanish Valley Drive up to and past Ken's Lake. A steep gravel road crests Flat Pass to parallel the Righthand fork of Mill Creek upstream a ways before crossing it and continuing the climb towards the base of South Mesa. Several demanding technical moves keep this rocky route interesting as it peaks near the base of the mesa, then winds through rolling country over to Mill Creek again. Righthand is forded three times in a picturesque slickrock canyon before reaching the spur that takes you up and out of its canyon to Moab.
Directions To Trailhead
From the intersection of Main and Center Street, head east on Center Street, going right on 400 East and left on Mill Creek Drive, as if going to the Slickrock Trail. Continue on Mill Creek past the Sand Flats Road for another mile, passing the acute spur left to Murphy Lane but taking the next acute left onto Spanish Valley Drive. Another 2.2 miles brings you to the four-way stop (Spanish Valley x Spanish Trail Road) where the route description begins.
Back to the Trails Page